By China Miéville
Miéville severely examines present theories of overseas legislation and gives a compelling replacement Marxist view. Drawing on a serious historical past of overseas legislation from the 16th century to the current day, Miéville argues that overseas legislations is essentially constituted via the violence of imperialism.
China Miéville's brilliantly unique e-book is an fundamental consultant for a person all in favour of foreign legislation. it's the so much finished scholarly account on hand of the crucial theoretical debates in regards to the foundations of foreign legislations. It deals a advisor for the lay reader into the imperative texts within the field." Peter Gowan, Professor, diplomacy, London Metropolitan college
"The such a lot refined Left critique of foreign legislations to be had at the present time in addition to probably the most major contributions to the speculation and heritage of foreign legislations i've got learn. It increases the talk approximately law's function in a globalized global order to a very new level." Martti Koskenniemi, Director, Erik Castren Institute of foreign legislation, collage of Helsinki
"We have waited many years for a accomplished and revolutionary critique of foreign legislations. Miéville proves the wait was once worthy it." Anthony Chase, Nova Southeastern college legislation Centre
Read Online or Download Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law (Historical Materialism Book Series, Volume 6) PDF
Similar marxism books
Opposed to expectancies that the shrink back from country socialism could likewise begin a shrink back from Marxist notion, contemporary years have visible a resurgence of curiosity in Marxism and its reassessment through a brand new new release of theorists. This ebook pursues that curiosity with particular connection with foreign legislations.
The Capitalist Cycle is a translation of a formerly unknown paintings in Marxist fiscal concept. initially released in 1928, this rediscovered paintings is without doubt one of the so much inventive essays witten by way of a Soviet economist in the course of the first twenty years after the Russian Revolution. Following the dialectic of Hegel and Marx, Maksakovsky goals to supply a 'concluding chapter' for Marx's Capital. The ebook examines monetary method and logically reconstructs Marx's research right into a complete and dynamic thought of cyclical fiscal crises. The introductory essay via Richard B. Day situates Maksakovsky's paintings in the Hegelian and Marxist philosophical traditions via emphasizing the book's dialectical common sense in addition to its contribution to financial technology. Richard B. Day, Ph. D. (1970), collage of London, is Professor of Political economic system on the collage of Toronto. He has written broadly on early Soviet debates and translated a number of books, together with works via N. I. Bukharin and E. A. Preobrazhensky.
Respiring new lifestyles into the achievements of Karl Marx, this available and jargon-free advent is a well timed reminder of his undiminished effect. Andrew Collier’s enticing textual content not just introduces the reader to Marx the progressive, but additionally redefines him as one of many first really democratic thinkers.
The individuals to The Anomie of the Earth discover the convergences and resonances among Autonomist Marxism and decolonial pondering. In discussing and rejecting Carl Schmitt's formula of the nomos—a conceptualization of worldwide order in accordance with the Western tenets of legislation and property—the authors query the idea of common political topics and glance in the direction of politics of the commons divorced from ecu notions of sovereignty.
- Marx at the Margins: On Nationalism, Ethnicity, and Non-Western Societies
- Max Horkheimer and the Foundations of the Frankfurt School
- Marxism and Materialism: A Study in Marxist Theory of Knowledge
- The Culture Industry: Selected Essays on Mass Culture (Routledge Classics)
- The Falling-Rate-of Profit Theory of Crisis: A Rational Reconstruction by Way of Obituary
Additional resources for Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law (Historical Materialism Book Series, Volume 6)
88. 135 Lachs 1987, p. 94. 36 • Chapter One ‘pure’ theory of law), rather than the way those norms and laws pan out in actuality. Kelsen’s theory, in a Kantian attempt to analyse the law as ‘thingin-itself’, limits ‘itself to an analysis of rules. . 136 The critique of Austin above is applicable to Kelsen here. The project of international legal theory must be to understand actually-existing international law. Kelsen’s ‘tendency to accept normative claims at face value, regardless of the prospect for their implementation’137 is a product of the fact that his is an analysis of ‘pure’ law.
71. Bull 1975, p. 125. Falk 1968, p. 134. 130 This posed a highly abstract version of international law, in which that law is a coercive order of rules backed by the threat of sanctions, a system of norms determined by the law creators. He acknowledges that unlike municipal law, there is no sovereign authority to mete out sanctions, and instead that the sanctions, in the shape of reprisals and war, are executed by the wronged state. [I]t is the state whose rights have been violated which is authorized to react against the violator by reprisals or war as the coercive acts provided for by international law.
106 For Schmitt a determinant of the speciﬁc shape of a nomon is not ‘state territory’ but the concept Grossraum – greater space. 107 But alongside these obligatory assurances that through ‘correct’ international law peace would be assured is the rather more hard-headed theory that integrating the notion of greater-space into international law can lead to ‘a formation of concepts and an understanding which are more in keeping with reality’;108 and even 101 Schmitt 2003a, p. 70. Ibid. 103 Schmitt 2003a, p.